The role of Estimating Engineer encompasses the meticulous preparation and pricing of electrical projects, spanning from initial conceptualization or preliminary brief to design handover post contract award. This position frequently serves as the primary liaison for clients, necessitating exceptional communication skills to cultivate relationships and mutual understanding across various professional levels within a diverse clientele.
The position entails the intricate refinement of electrical tenders and quotes based on preliminary design documentation. This involves establishing and reporting on labor and material budgets for projects, as well as capturing and pricing change-management aspects with our clients. Primarily centered at our Sussex offices, this role involves frequent travel throughout Hampshire, Sussex, and Kent. The company is open to considering options such as partial remote work or flexible hours to accommodate childcare or other relevant needs.
The Estimating Engineer should possess a solid working familiarity with LV electrical systems, including power distribution, signal/communication networks, MCC manufacturing, and Control Systems. Proficiency in interpreting BCD/SLDs and P&IDs is essential. Additionally, a robust commercial background is crucial, encompassing knowledge of NEC3/4 contracts, strong organizational skills, and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Formulating accurate estimates and cost projections for projects.
- Maintaining up-to-date contract information through monthly reporting.
- Leveraging digital skills and expertise in Digital Engineering and Estimating software to establish consistent practices, incorporating insights from ongoing or recently concluded projects.
- Defining budgets and timelines - from tendering to project mobilization.
- Handling monthly billing and invoicing procedures.
- Effectively resolving disputes.
- Preparing and finalizing accounts.
- Enhancing competitiveness through innovative approaches.
- Undertaking additional tasks as required by the organization.
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
i. Developing robust and profitable tenders by blending input from existing staff with historical data for informed pricing decisions.
ii. Timely delivery of estimates/quotations aligning with clients' expectations.
iii. Managing change-management processes for projects via Compensation Events (CEs).
iv. Identifying and nurturing new business prospects within the current customer base, fostering critical relationships to drive business expansion.
Skills and Qualifications
- Preferably 5 years of experience in a technical and commercial capacity, ideally within the Water or Process industries.
- Proficient multitasking across multiple projects with meticulous attention to detail.
- Ideally, hold qualifications at HNC/HND level or higher.
- Familiarity with NEC3/4 Contracts, MS Office Suite, Trimble/Amtech software, and the creation of cable schedules and BOQs.
- Reporting Structure
- Company Directors
- Collaborates with Internal Project Delivery Teams
- Interfaces with Clients
Remuneration & Benefits
- Competitive remuneration (£DOE per annum)
- Travel expenses coverage
- Company Pension scheme
- Training budget allocation
- Opportunities for career advancement
Austin Fraser is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
Austin Fraser is committed to being an equal opportunities employer, and encourages applications from candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity status.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide individual feedback to unsuccessful applicants.